For the voracious Boxee fans out there, the wait for the Boxee Beta unveiling finally ends tonight in Brooklyn, New York at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Christmas is coming a little early for Boxee diehards and Santa was sure to bring some Gonzee gifts in his sleigh.
I’m dead excited to announce today’s Gonzee releases coinciding with the launch of Boxee Beta as we push forward into a new chapter of social, open source development for the living room. We have four spectacular apps getting some beta love, packed with pantloads of holiday cheer.
Never mind the bollocks -- on to the apps!
1) Man in the Box 1.0
The brilliant office comedy from Break.com is now available on Boxee. Man in the Box is a hilarious web series featuring the exploits of Greg and his insane set of coworkers suffering in cubicle hell delivered weekly in 3-4 minute shorts. Like NBC’s The Office, only a tenth of the length and too demented for broadcast television.
Here’s a great taste with Greg’s viral hit “Facebook Abuse.”
2) KidMango 1.4
The very first Boxee app for kids has gotten a holiday brushup with a full Brightcove integration, making the video bigger on your screen, easier to control and faster to load. KidMango joins Wired and Style.com with full Brightcove support, making it even easier to enjoy KM’s enormous library of children’s telvision.
3) Cliqset 1.5
The first real-time social experience for your living room has exploded on Boxee with a ton of great conversations in the short month since its release. The crew at Cliqset rarely rest on their laurel, so of course the Cliqset Boxee had to join the rest of their huge releases this weekend. Here’s the short list of the new features:
- Complete Redesign -- The app’s design has been completely redone with a new diesel look for the Boxee Beta -- guaranteed to melt your face.
- Notifications -- You can now view and clear your Cliqset notifications directly within Boxee.
- Share Videos on Cliqset -- Like what you’re watching and want to share with your crew? Video chat now let’s you share the video you are watching in Boxee with everyone on Cliqset.
- Play Shared Videos -- You can now play the videos your friends share on Cliqset directly in Boxee.
- Channels -- The Cliqset app revolutionized the social experience in your living room with its content-aware video chat. That experience just got even better with Channels that allow you to talk not only with the people who are watching the same video, but also the same TV Show, film genre, director, online video service, or -- even better -- anyone watching anything on Boxee!
- New Activities / Video Chat with Video Inlay -- Tired of switching between your activities and your video chat? By default, the Cliqset Boxee app now let’s you switch between both with an easy tab navigation while viewing your video inlayed on the screen. Prefer the classic overlaid video chat? Easily access it with the “Video Chat” button at the top of the screen.
4) Boxee Beta Live
Not making it to the Big Apple for the launch tonight? Well the Boxee crew and I put together a very special app for you. Tonight’s event can be watched on Boxee with the Boxee Beta Live app now available in the App Box.
For Linux, Mac and AppleTV users in particular there is a special treat, as the folks over at Cliqset are powering a special real-time conversation for the event embedded in the Boxee app. You can chat anonymously or register on Cliqset right from within the app.
Check out the great posts about it in the media:
Who’s that good looking guy in the screenshot?